Most influential teacher:

Throughout my life, I have had many great teachers who have impacted my life. Ā These were the teachers who motivated, encouraged and believed in me no matter what. There was one teacher in elementary school who always stands out for me. She was the kind of teacher who was always happy to be at work. You could tell she never brought her bad days to work and if she did, we never knew it. She acknowledged everyone and tried to make each student feel important. Just knowing when I walked in the door that Iā€™d be asked how I was, gave me excitement heading to school.

Grade five was a hard year for me. My parents divorced, my family dynamic had completely changed, and school was tough for me. For a while, it was hard to focus but this teacher always made time to check in and assure she was there If I needed anything. It felt like she ā€œgot meā€. I think about this teacher often as I go through this program and although I donā€™t remember a ton of what we learned that year, thereā€™s one thing Iā€™ll never forget; the way she made me feel. She prioritized my social emotional learning over my academic learning because at the time, that is what I needed most. She was flexible, open, understanding, empathetic and understanding; all qualities I believe are important for teachers to have. I think about her often and strongly believe even after all these years that we share the same teaching philosophy. She was the one teacher who made me want to be a teacher.

When I look back at my school experiences, I remember the classrooms I was excited to walk into. The ones where teachers acknowledged you, asked about my interests, my life and ones who took the time to see me as a unique individual. My grade five teacher will forever be remembered and talked about to my future students and children one day.

flowers

Teaching metaphor: FlowersĀ 

All flowers are different. Some are full of life, bright and thriving while others can be wilted and dried out. Although each different, every flower is beautiful in its own way.

Naturally, all flowers want to grow. With the right nourishment, patience, and care, all flowers can flourish.