Throughout the past four years working at School District #52 and attending UNBC, I have been lucky enough to learn some Sm’algyax; a traditional lanaguage spoken by the Tshimshian people. Many school districts throughout British Columbia have implemented traditional language classes for students. Here in Prince Rupert, students have been attending Sm’algyax classes with fluent speaking teachers for over ten years.

As an educator, I try to weave local language into my practice and strongly believe in in doing so whenever I can. I love learning from my students and like to set time aside to do sharing circles to share new words or phrases learnt in Sm’algyax. Other ideas I have tried is doing the morning check-in in Sm’algyax, do the calendar in Sm’algyaxu, or use classroom management phrases. There are many small ways we can incorporate the language to help our students learn and retain the language.

Many Indigenous languages in Canada are endangered because of colonial policies that prohibited people to speak their language. What many people don’t realize is that residential schools lasted seven decades long, which in turn has destroyed enough Indigenous culture, language and identity to last a lifetime. Unfortunately, the number of Indigenous language speakers is alarmingly low and when these languages die, the knowledge, history, songs and connections all go with it.

Below, I’ve attached a few ways I have included the traditional language into my practice. One resource uses the Sm’algyax language to translate classroom management strategies. Together as a class, we would practice these phrases, learn what they mean, and use them daily. With practice, students should be able to respond to these phrases. The other document attached is a Sm’algyax lesson where students learn about their crests.

As an educator, I believe it is my duty to contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing. Incorporating traditional Indigenous language into our classrooms is crucial for a number of different reasons. When we incorporate the language, we are supporting Indigenous language revitalization and helping students retain a language that many are working so hard to learn. As I move forward into my career, I hope to continue learning the traditional language and incorporate it into my classroom.

SMALGYAXCLASSROOMMANAGEMENT

What is your crest? Sm’algyax Lesson Plan